Abandoned Bicycle Reporting Form
A bike can be reported as abandoned if it:
- is not rideable (it may have a rusty chain, flat tires, no seat, missing wheels or handlebars) or
- has not been moved for at least 7 days
My bike has been tagged as abandoned. What can I do?
To prevent the removal of your bike if it has been identified as abandoned, contact the Bike Program (312-744-4600 or
) and give us the ID# written on the warning notice attached to your bike. Letting us know that your bike is not abandoned helps save Bike Program resources and reduce emissions.
What happens to abandoned bikes?
- Bike Parking program staff investigates report per Municipal Code of Chicago 9-52-071 .
- If bike seems to be abandoned a warning notice is attached to the bike informing the owner the bike will be removed.
- After seven (7) days has passed, a City crew will be dispatched to remove the bike.
- After the abandoned bike is removed, it is delivered (usually same day) to Working Bikes Cooperative. Working Bikes leaves the warning notice attached and refrains from working on the bike for 30 days. After this period, they are free to refurbish the bike for charity or public sale. Please visit the Working Bikes Cooperative website for more information about that non-profit organization.
Webpage last updated September 20, 2011.
Are you looking to Request a Bike Rack, or Request a Bike Map, or Request Bike Publications?